For many, the best option to further their careers, is still to obtain a matric certificate. If due to circumstances you were not able to complete your schooling and now wish to improve yourself by improving your academic qualifications, there are a number of possibilities available to you. There are quite a few Further Education and Training (FET) Colleges that offer instruction up to matric level. If you have not yet reached a level that would allow you to begin your studies towards matric (below grade 9), please visit the following page on the ABET website: https://abet.co.za/learn/training-centres-for-individuals/
Amended Senior Certificate (ASC)
An exciting development is known as the Amended Senior Certificate (ASC). More information can be found on the Basic Education website.
The Senior Certificate (as amended) now also allow candidates to obtain University endorsement. As in the case of the NSC exam, they can also qualify for admission to Bachelor, Diploma or Higher Certificate programmes at Higher Education institutions.
The following learners will qualify for admission to the amended Senior Certificate:
- Adult learners who are 21 years and older who have:
- a General Education and Training Certificate (GETC); or
- a Grade 9 school report (or the old standard seven). stating that they have passed Grade 9 or Standard 7; or
- a recognised equivalent qualification obtained at NQF Level which requires two official languages.
- Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete Senior Certificate qualification.
- Adult learners who are 21 years and older with an incomplete National Senior Certificate and whose School-Based Assessment (SBA) validity has expired.
- Only in exceptional cases, out of school youth, who are 18-21 years old and who could not complete their school education due to circumstances beyond their control, as verified by the Head of Department in the Provincial Education Department.
The Department of Basic Education has revised requirements for the Senior Certificate (matric) qualification for adults. Adults wishing to complete the Senior Certificate must now study subjects listed by the Curriculum and Assessment Policy Statement (CAPS). This web site tells you who qualifies to write the exams, how to register, what to study, and where to study in the Western Cape.
The College of Supported Learning SA addresses several matric needs:
- I am older than 23 and have never completed matric
- I was in matric in the last 2 years. I did not complete matric
- I passed matric but I need better marks
- I left school recently. I did not complete matric
- I left school a long time ago. I never completed matric
Our Senior Certificate (as amended) programme assists older students to get their Matric qualifications. Register and start studying today to obtain your Matric! If you never completed Matric or would like to rewrite subjects in order to obtain your Senior Certificate (as amended), this programme is for you. Exam sessions are held yearly during June/July and exact dates will be communicated as they become available.
SAYes design, deliver and support mentoring programmes for youth in transition. All SAYes Mentorship programmes provide mentor-mentee matches with scientifically credible interventions to improve mentee independence (via the quality of decision making) and well-being (via the consistency of healthy practices). Interventions are person-centred, delivered one-to-one, and span ten transition domains focused on the intervention targets highlighted by key social development indicators (e.g., literacy, freedom of expression), sustainable development goals (e.g., decent work and economic growth), and population specific challenges (e.g., institutionalisation among care leavers). In the workplace context, interventions are ultimately aligned with core government priorities such as developing priority skills, ensuring sustainable access to the economy, and/or accelerating enterprise development in a value chain.
If you have left school and still have to pass matric or are wondering what to do after matric with your qualification, this web directory will show you a world of opportunities.